Tuesday, December 22, 2009

My One On One Interview With "Invincible" Vince Papale

It took a couple of emails back and fourth to get the time and the date to work for both Vince and myself but I finally got the chance to interview one of my most inspirational football players ever, former Eagles Wide Receiver Vince Papale.

It was a 45 minute phone interview and our topics varied from Papale's era to modern day to the controversial Brett Favre. With that being said here is my interview with Vince Papale.We are both watching the Giants-Redskins game on MNF while the interview took place.


Lars: Hey Vince

Vince: Hey Lars whats up, give me one second.

Vince: You ready?

Lars: Yea, my first question to you is who are you rooting for tonight?

Vince: Redskins of course because as an Eagles fan you need the Redskins to win to keep a two game difference between them and the Giants. It doesn’t look good now with the Skins down 14-0 but still rooting for them.

Lars: Yea I agree it makes sense, not looking good right now for the Skins and Jim Zorn. My second question to you is going back to your head coach Dick Vermeil, what’s your opinion on current head coach Andy Reid compared to the man you played under Dick Vermeil?

Vince: Two difference personalities mostly. Andy is very close to himself and doesn’t share things with many people “outside his circle”. Dick, on the other hand was very emotional in how he coaches, with his players and it’s really hard to compare them because they are two different personalities in regards to their coaching. Now on the X’s and O’s we had it very simple with simple packages and not so much movements and motions before the snap where as now the game has developed so much to the point where is a lot different than when I played. But like as a person with the times I’ve talked with and been around Andy he seems like Mike Holmgren, very calm and close to himself like you have said Lars.

Lars: Yea I agree and like I said the way you describe him (Andy Reid), he seems a lot like Mike Holmgren.

Lars: My next question is what’s your current connection with the Eagles organization?

Vince: Well they do have an alumni organization, much like the Philadelphia Flyers do. Since I use to play for the Eagles, when they call me sometimes and ask me to do speaking I kindly accept. I do speaking everywhere when someone asks me to. I love your state, Washington and I did a speaking near Seattle before the Super Bowl. The stadium the Seahawks play in is phenomenal. So I do it when people ask me to or if the Eagles do but I don’t make a living off the Eagles, I don’t have to.

Lars: Yea it's really nice and relaxing in Washington and we have some of if not the most passionate fans it football. My next question to you is who is your favorite current eagle WR Desean Jackson or Jeremy Maclin?

Vince: Well if I could I would take both because they both are two great receivers. Maclin has great speed and he’s very young but watching DeSean Jackson is just unbelievable. So I’d take Jackson if I had to chose because watching him last night adjust to a route on a ball that normally you don’t see young players adjust to is just amazing to see. He’s got extremely light feet and that’s very key. DeSean is a complete game breaker.

Lars: Yea I'd pick DeSean in a heart beat, the guy is 5-10 but he's one of the most electric wide outs in the game. My next question for you is I’m sure u’ve been asked this a lot but what did you think of the Movie Invincible, based on you and how do u think Mark Wahlburg did playing you?

Vince: The movie was phenomenal, I think it was one of the best sports movies of all time of course but I still liked Rocky until some other more recent ones came out. Remember the Titans, Coach Carter, and the Rookie which really touched me and hit home. The Miracle on ice, another Disney based movie about the US Russia game was also another great movie that I think is one of my favorites. I’m proud of it and I’m sitting here opening mail that the postal lady dropped off this week with letter from over 30 people saying how the movie and story affected them so it’s impacted a lot of other people. Mark did the part better than anyone else would have. He worked his butt off to learn the information and the wide receiver work outs. He respected me throughout the entire process when he had to learn all the information. He was also a very nice, young respectable man about the city of Philadelphia, and the entire piece all around. Absolute blast to be with. He’s intelligent, talented and a part of my family. When he comes into Philadelphia we’ll have dinner with him and the entire family, my wife and two kids love him. Nothing but great things to say about Mark. I wrote a book the Reel story which fills in all the cracks of the movie and goes beyond everything. The movie goes beyond football and being a school teacher Lars, I survived cancer, I was a full time school teacher so I always try to reach out to people who need it.

Lars: Man Vince that's phenomenal and that's great, I was greatly affected after I researched your entire story, not just watching the movie. My Final question for you is what’s your opinion on Brett Favre?

Vince: Tremendous quarterback, such a role model and I feel he's entitled to take his time to make the right decision he wants. I admire him as a man and what he's gone through with his father dying and having to go through all he's had to go through it just shows how great of a man he is and always will be.

Lars: Yea I agree, when you get to the point Brett is at you need more time to make sure the decision you made is right. This season it's paid off.

Vince: So you got all you need there Lars?

Lars: Yea that just about raps it up, hopefully the Redskins get their act together.

Vince: Haha yea well it's not looking good now. Hey Lars take care and have a happy holidays.

Lars: Thanks Vince, you to and for the rest of your family. Stay warm as well with the snow.

Vince: I will, take care.

Lars: Bye

Vince: Bye

It was one of my top three interviews that I've had the pleasure of being apart of. When you get affected by a story through a movie is one thing, but to hear it from that person directly to you is a whole nother ball game. I thank Vince and his family for letting him spend the time to do the interview with me.

Hope you all who read it enjoy it aswell.

You can follow Lars at Twitter http://twitter.com/larshanson

No comments:

Post a Comment